Kevin Mitnick, also known as N6NHG in ham radio world was the most wanted computer criminal in United States history. He used his social engineering skills to bypass all the security, doing phone phreaking, wiretapping and lots more.
Confirmed criminal acts
- Using the Los Angeles bus transfer system to get free rides
- Evading the FBI
- Hacking into DEC system(s) to view VMS source code (DEC reportedly spent $160,000 in cleanup costs)
- Gaining full admin privileges to an IBM minicomputer at the Computer Learning Center in LA in order to win a bet
- Hacking Motorola, NEC, Nokia, Sun Microsystems and Fujitsu Siemens systems
Alleged criminal acts
- Stole computer manuals from a Pacific Bell telephone switching center in Los Angeles
- Read the e-mail of computer security officials at MCI Communications and Digital
- Wiretapped the California DMV
- Made free cell phone calls
- Hacked SCO, PacBell, FBI, Pentagon, Novell, CA DMV, USC and Los Angeles Unified School District systems.
- Wiretapped FBI agents according to John Markoff, although denied by Kevin Mitnick.