Kuala Lumpur is the largest city in Malaysia. In early 80s, not many people know where is Malaysia. But some of them heard about Kuala Lumpur and Penang.
I dont know exact population in Kuala Lumpur, but you can find it on CIA facts book or Wikipedia.
As far as i know, one of the largest amateur radio population in Malaysia is in Kuala Lumpur.
There where radio amateur examination exam held here but now changed to Selangor.
CW test usually take place at MCMC headquarters which is in Cyberjaya.
Many ham radio community here in Kuala Lumpur and Selangor. Eyeball QSO everywhere from Cheras, Gombak to Shah Alam and Kepong.
Foreigner hams live in Kuala Lumpur too. Some of them settled down here.
Many interesting places here for amateur radio to visit.
1. Kuala Lumpur petroscience located in Kuala Lumpur City Center.
2. Planeterium Negara. It has amateur radio callsign 9M2RPN. This is the usual place where Malaysian students talk to astronauts.
3. Japan Ham Radio Club 9M2JKL. Located near Seputeh. This is the meeting place for Japanese hams who live in Kuala Lumpur or Selangor.
4. Malaysian Amateur Radio Emergency Service club house. Located in Petaling Jaya. You can meet many local and foreign hams here. Flea market happens once a month.
5. Sri Gombak ham radio, they hang out near Sri Gombak. Usually at Ibrahim Maju. Happening on weekends.
6. Sungai Buloh. Faizul Maju located in Taman Sri Buloh is where local hams here have their meeting.
7. BRJ Restaurant Alam Damai. Alam Damai local hams will having their eyebal QSO here.
8. Shah Alam. I dont exactly knows where they usually met. But somewhere in Shah Alam. Ill update later.
To foreigners, there are the place where you can meet local ham radio. Maybe you can visit them and say hello.
To Malaysian amater radio, these are the place where you can meet new friends, have a talk. To those who want to ask for recommedation letter for applying callsign, just find where local hams usually met. They will help you.